Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ashland Day 3

I saw the Folio and King John yesterday. Good stuff. The theatre for King John is really quite small, but the staging was neatly done... except for the part where Arthur is supposed to leap from the wall... no jumping quite logically, but they did some lame video of the actor jumping with corny sound effects on the backdrop while she snuck down the back stairs. Kinda cheap... and she didn't 'play dead' very well do start with. Too stiff. All those years doing lifesaving simulations really makes me sensitive to playing unconscious and dead well:-) The rest of the play was great though. The program said something about Shakespeare relegating the female characters (Eleanor, Constance, and Blanche) to minor roles, different from their real-life roles, but I think they almost stole the show. Yeah they cry and whine a bit, but they have reason to. And they did it soooo well. Oh well, guess I'll just have to go read the play and see what I think of the unedited text. Anyway, I'm just about to check out of the hotel in Medford and head off to the backstage tour. TTFN.